Mesa, AZ---Capping off a memorable 2017 season, the No. 16 nationally ranked ASA College (NY) football team added more hardware to the trophy case this afternoon by defeating Mesa College, 28-23, in the Valley of the Sun Bowl. ASA closes out the season with a 9-1 record including a Northeast Football Conference Championship and today's bowl game title. It is the second NJCAA-sanctioned bowl championship in the program's relatively young history.
Courtesy of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA)
- The Avengers' wide out Edward Morgan garnered Offensive MVP of the bowl, as he tallied 145 kickoff return yards on three returns – including a 96 yard return for a touchdown. Morgan also tied for a team-high in receptions with five for 47 yards.
- Stone Labanowitz completed 20-of-25 passes for 209 yards and two scores for ASA.
- Defensive MVP Brian Campbell accumulated 10 total tackles and returned one interception for 12 yards.
- As a team the Avengers netted 438 yards of total offense with 200 coming on the ground.
- The Thunderbirds' Christian Lopez threw for 244 yards and one touchdown while wide receiver Sonnie Richardson led all receivers with 82 yards and 11 receptions.
- The Avengers finish the 2017 campaign with a seven game winning streak and posted a 9-1 record. Mesa finished the season at 6-5.